https://www.facebook.com/barnbarrochpottery/

Saturday 27 March 2010

March pots


That's one big kiln out this week, and another one cooling tonight - there has been a lot of glazing going on. This little chap seems to have survived his fiery ordeal with equanimity. Maybe he had to stuff his paws into his ears though, as the kiln control box has been making an increasingly and alarmingly loud crackly noise as it cuts in and out. Rodger assured me that it wasn't about to go on fire, but I still think I should get an electrian's advice before the next firing.

Some of these long dishes were quite sucessful -. I have another batch underway right now, which I think (hope) are looking more confident than these first attempts at sideways bending.


I was sitting by the burn near Langhom a few weeks ago, watching the water rippling over the mossy stones and noting the colours, mossy green, browns, golds, greys, all quite beautiful in a cold March sort of way. As a result a few new glaze and slip colour tests are on their way which I hope to incorporate into the next ones.

Other new pots included some espresso cups, I liked this one - just big enough for one sheep, rather than the usual whole hill of them,


..and the new shape fatter mug. I've kept this one as I wanted to 'get to know' it through use, and I have found that I am drawn to it as it hangs on the mug hooks. This one is an entirely new design colourwise as well as shape and still has the brown handle.



Unfortunately for me I also really liked the ones which survived having had their handles slipped as well, so I shall have to get to grips with this slipping handle business.


A Spring Fling 'preview' article in D and G Life was shoved under my nose last week. Top pic features Hannah and bottom pic Allie and I doing a long dish lifting demo at last year's event. A photographer came round to do a shoot of one or two studios last year so I suppose I shouldn't have been so surprised.

And for something completely different, I managed to dash into Dumfries for a couple of hours to join the Samba Sisters playing for the bikers 'Easter Egg run as they roared into the town centre. The sun shone, mostly, and the rain kept away, mostly. But the best bit was noticing this baby in a pram, not much more than around 14 months old and sitting up with wide blue eyes and rocking intently to the rythm, competely entranced.

5 comments:

  1. Love seeing the foxes out of the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen that article. Nice mugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the foxes lounging on the edge of the dishes Christine.
    Z xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those foxes are fab. The sideways dish has a feel of the burn too, it's twistiness and the colours. Love the espresso cups, how about some with those slinky foxes on?! Or a cat...not that I'm biased or anything (I love cats). The seabirds are lovely too.

    The kid must be planning to be a rock star! Music does something to little ones that is almost elemental. It's wonderful to watch them soaking in all the input they can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What charming foxes, and lovely mugs. Such a delight to see all these good things.

    ReplyDelete