https://www.facebook.com/barnbarrochpottery/

Wednesday 11 January 2012

A Directional Dish and a foam harbour


From feeling that my feet had become irrevocably glued to the long holiday that is Christmas and New Year, I now have so much work underway that every surface in the workshop has been filled.


I am back where I love to be best, happily following my train of thoughts with my hands. Of course not every thought is worth pursuing, but what I like is when a small idea starts to develop through the making process so that often unforeseen happenings unfold with quite unexpected end results.

It's not that I drift around in an unplanned dreamy sort of way, everything is in fact pretty well planned, but when two dimensional ideas become three, especially when extruding is involved I always seem to be quite surprised at the outcome. I think this is why I really love extruding as a making method.


I'm looking forward to finding the right design for this one. It seems to be going in one direction - it has the feeling of a sledge or some sort of weird craft.


Still playing with the boat themes from last year, I needed another size of 'hull' to sit happily on my watery base, so spent some time cutting a new die. I learnt a lot from last summers 'dragon boat' making session and knew this time to include a deck support for this shape. They behaved pretty well once I'd got the clay firmed up enough. The first attempts flopped horribly, so project was aborted until I'd dried flops, sliced sacks out on suction boards and re kneaded. Here they are supported by their foam harbour to firm up. As usual once underway I made far too many, always after the perfect one.



Some long thin boatish dishes and another harbour of coracle type ones in the foam support.


Once the boats have firmed up a little I can turn them over as arches and let them dry to leather hard. A funny thing about our new heating system is that things aren't drying nearly as quickly. But the workshop is warmer?! Maybe it's because there are less drafts. Whatever the reason it's suiting me fine right now since this lot would have me panicking if they were all to dry at once.


This afternoon I cut a die for some sea, so I should get at least some of these sailing tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Christine you do have a lot going on. I am always amazed to see the extrusions and what you create with them. Hope all your boats don't dry out at once. Have a good Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That extruder looks great fun, and the use of foam for supporting your flotilla of new craft is a good idea. Your cat looks a very experienced potter. I like the confident stance as it navigates the perimeter of your new creation!
    Happy New Year! P

    ReplyDelete